New York Jets general manager John Idzik said Wednesday that his team would “not be averse” to picking any player, including a quarterback, in the first round, but that the team had already been fielding telephone calls from other teams looking to move up, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports.
“I think the real substantive talks will come tomorrow,” he said. “I think we’re in a position at No. 9 and No. 13 in the first round to get two really good players, but it also opens up the gates for potential alternatives, potentially trading down and picking up more players. We’ll be open minded about it. This is a very deep draft.”
Idzik said the Jets’ first-round draft decisions will not be dictated by need, but by “the talent available when we pick.”
Asked if the Jets would pick a quarterback in the first round, Idzik said he would not talk about specific players or positions, but “we would not be averse to picking any player if our evaluation determines that is the best talent available when we pick.”
The quarterback the Jets have shown the most interest in during their draft preparations is Ryan Nassib of Syracuse. New offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg has met with Nassib and worked him out personally, believing Nassib is best suited for the short passing game of the West Coast offense that Mornhinweg is installing.
Update: ESPN New York passes around “buzz around the league” that the Jets will NOT select a quarterback in the first round.