The Jets were the team that contacted Osi Umenyiora prior to his official retirement, Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports reported (Aug. 26).
According to Garafolo, while the Jets expressed interest, they didn’t make a formal contract offer.
Umenyiora said during his retirement press conference at the Giants’ facility on Wednesday that he didn’t want to continue playing unless it was for the Giants. He noted that a team had contacted him about playing, but wouldn’t reveal which one.
Umenyiora, 33, played the last two seasons with the Falcons after spending the first nine years of his career with the Giants.
Umenyiora racked up 75 sacks while with the Giants, which is fourth on the team’s all-time list.
Jets center Nick Mangold joins Daily News Live to discuss the upcoming matchup with the Giants and what it’s like to play for first-year head coach Todd Bowles.
DL Davon Walls cleared waivers and has been placed on IR, the Jets announced (Aug. 26).
Walls was recently waived by the team in order to make room on the roster for TE Matt LaCosse.
Walls had shown a few flashes of athleticism in the first two preseason games, but he’s also been overmatched at times. He was given an injury settlement after suffering a calf injury after practice last week at Hofstra.
When he’s healthy again, maybe the Jets will bring him in for a spell on the practice squad or consider him for a futures deal.
Brandon Marshall has spent the month of January at home each of the past nine years, watching other players make postseason runs.
The New York Jets wide receiver wants to know how it feels.
Despite being on some solid teams during his NFL career, Marshall has never made the playoffs. He has played in 136 regular-season games, the league’s longest active streak without a postseason appearance.
Marshall wants to change all that in a big way with the Jets, who have missed the playoffs the past four years and haven’t been to a Super Bowl since winning it in 1969.
“It would mean the world to me,” Marshall said. “I definitely want to win. I don’t know how I would move forward without a championship. You know, 45 years old, sitting on a porch, just thinking about would’ve, could’ve. That’s going to be hard even though I’m going to be happy with my family and our foundation and some business things I’m involved in.
“I’m not going to be one of those guys that has a hard transition, but if I don’t win, it’s going to be tough.”
– Amaro’s minor injury is becoming a big problem [NY Post]
– Trevor Reilly talks about pass rushing moves and his roster chances [NJAM]
– Source: Vick spoke with Jets before joining Steelers [Metro]
– Marshall says he’s better than ever [ESPN New York]
– Quigley had the best game of any punter in 2014 and was 12th best overall [Football Perspective]
– Bowles admits he underestimated Ivory’s speed [Jets Official Site]
– Marshall, who has never played in the postseason, just wants a ring [AP]
– Owusu should be a “full go” for practice tomorrow [Jets Insider]
– Has Matt Flynn been the luckiest back-up QB in the league? [Deadspin]
Bent, theJetsBlog.com: Things seem to be falling into place for Trevor Reilly’s roster chances this season. With IK Enemkpali gone and Lorenzo Mauldin out for a couple of weeks with a knee injury, the path is clear for him to slot into a back-up role behind Calvin Pace. In fact, Pace himself is suffering from a groin injury and won’t play this weekend, giving Reilly a chance for some quality reps with the first team.
Even without the IK incident and the Mauldin injury, Reilly was still making a much stronger case than either to back up Pace’s strongside position. What flashes Mauldin had shown were as a pass rusher, much like Enemkpali before him, whereas Reilly has shown that he has more versatility, dropping into coverage on 40% of passing plays last week. This positions him in a spot where he’d be able to fill in for Pace, instead of just contributing as a situational pass rusher. He’s still made contributions as a pass rusher though – his four total pressures are tied for the team lead in preseason.
Although Reilly is only a second-year pro, he’ll actually be 28 in January, because he went on a two-year mormon mission while in college. That’s part of the reason he lasted until the late rounds of the draft in 2014. I recently compared Reilly to Garrett McIntyre, who – following a spell in Canada – eventually broke through with the Jets at about the same age as Reilly. While McIntyre was an unheralded back-up edge defender and occasional spot starter, I meant no disrespect, because guys like McIntyre (who started 10 games and racked up 72 tackles and 5.5 sacks in three years) are exactly the sort of low-cost players you need to fill out your depth chart.
The Jets signed LB Bryan Johnson and released TE Steve Maneri, the team announced (Aug. 25).
Johnson spent 2014 with the Bills — with the majority of the season spent on their practice squad. He was waived by Buffalo in June.
Maneri had signed with the Jets in June when Zach Sudfeld was placed on injured reserve.
Bent, theJetsBlog.com: Johnson played as a defensive end last year with the Bills during the preseason and did not drop into coverage at all in 80 snaps. I’d imagine he’s been brought in primarily to rush the passer rather than as an option to back-up Calvin Pace.
With a few guys down, the Jets will need somebody to take up reps during the preseason, so Johnson could be more of an “innings-eater” than an actual roster candidate. Still, if he can put some good plays on film, this will give him a chance of getting picked up by another team or landing on the Jets’ practice squad. Being a small school prospect, Johnson didn’t have an official pro day, but he ran a disappointing 4.99 at 260 pounds at the Detroit Super Regional Combine last year. However, his other workout numbers were outstanding.
Regarding Maneri, he had a chance to catch on with this team, but had fallen behind after getting injured in camp. While he played against the Falcons, he was relegated to third-string duties. Despite one nice catch, Maneri obviously didn’t do enough to hold on to his spot. Kellen Davis is probably safe now, as the team’s best blocking tight end, despite three penalties in last week’s game.
Jets win Super Bowl — in Snacks’ Madden
The New York Jets are Super Bowl champions – at least in Damon Harrison’s videogame world.
The nose tackle nicknamed “Snacks” has been playing an advanced copy of EA Sports’ Madden NFL 16, which hits stores Tuesday, for the last two weeks and completed a full season Sunday night by leading the Jets where only Broadway Joe has gone before. >> Read more on SNY.tv
Corey Griffin and Brian Bassett welcome NFL Media Analyst Lance Zierlein to the show to break down the Jets’ offensive and defensive lines.
Subscribe in iTunes RSS
E-Mail us with feedback, comments, or questions for a future show: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bent, theJetsBlog.com: Every year, teams have to let some players go. Even thought the Jets did bring back some of their free agents (Leger Douzable, Willie Colon, Ben Ijalana, Tanner Purdum), they chose not to bring everyone back. With preseason now underway, we’re keeping track of the progress on any guys from the 2014 or 2015 roster that are now playing elsewhere, so we can at least start to form some views on whether letting any of these guys loose was a mistake or a smart move.
With the second week of preseason games now in the books, I’ve been watching the footage to determine how the ex-Jets have been performing.
After the jump, a comprehensive list – which may of course grow with guys like Michael Vick and Dawan Landry still searching for a job – of how everyone has fared so far.
To read more of this story, click here
– Coples predicts big sack totals in 2015 [NY Post]
– A full breakdown of the the Jets’ injury barrage [NJAM]
– Demario turned life around after arrest [Metro]
– Team’s new edict: Cause a distraction and you’ll be running [ESPN New York]
– Marshall is a go-to guy on and off the field [Jets Official Site]
– Snacks leads Jets to Super Bowl win … on Madden [AP]
Bent, theJetsBlog.com: It’s interesting that the Jets might try to put in place measures to try and restrict the amount of distractions their players cause, although this actually sounds like it’s more a of an agreement between the players on the roster than any official team-initiated policy. This comes soon after the IK Enemkpali incident, where it seemed suspiciously like the Jets were keeping a lid on what was said on the matter with only experienced veterans prepared to weigh in on the record. As noted in the above article from the Jets’ official site, Brandon Marshall is one such veteran they were prepared to trust to speak on the matter – perhaps with instructions about what he was and wasn’t permitted to say.
It looked like Calvin Pryor might be the first to fall foul of this new edict when reports emerged that he had spoken up in defense of Cris Carter’s controversial “fall guy” comments, but the excellent Bob Glauber from Newsday does a tremendous job of putting into context how Pryor (and Jace Amaro) were actually taking a positive message from Carter’s overall speech and not defending the more controversial parts of what he said.
While it’s a sensible idea for the team to try and keep some level of control here, not everyone is objective as Glauber. I’m not quite sure what the Jets can do about the notorious “unnamed sources”, which can always be relied upon to create a story when things are quiet. That aspect would seem impossible to police and, let’s face it, even in situations where nothing controversial has been said, it’s not uncommon for a story to be manufactured almost out of thin air. For example, unless Quinton Coples starts racking up sacks early and often this year, his comments from the NY Post article above will be thrown around again to emphasize how badly he’s underachieving. In the end, the best way to stop those kinds of distractions is to start winning and hopefully create something positive to talk about instead.